Having a spray tan is a great way to look tanned and feel fabulous instantly.
At BeautyFixx we use Bondi Sands spray tan - providing the most natural bronze colour no matter your skin type.
Spray tanning utelises a high powered spray gun which is used by your tanning expert to apply the spray tan in a mist all over your body while you stand in a special spray tanning tent.
The tanning solution contains a temporary bronzer which means that the therapist can see exactly where they have been to ensure a nice even coverage, and also means that you walk away 15 minutes later looking tanned!
Bondi Sands spray tan has the following benefits:
• Develop in as little as 2 hours – get on with your busy life sooner!
• Green/ Blue base – to counteract any orange tones once on the skin– with a range of shades to choose from.
• All natural, no parabens, sulphates or alcohol. Never tested on animals
• Infused with Aloe for extra hydration
• Smells divine – no chemical odor, just a hint of coconut
• Great range of maintenence products – well priced, great packaging and everything you need to maintain your tan once you leave the salon.
• Lasts 5-10 days.
Before Your Spray Tan:
What you need to consider ahead of your spray tanning appointment.
• Make sure you exfoliate well every day for 3 days before your spray tan and also on the day of your spray tan. We recommend using exfoliating gloves in the shower and moisturise afterwards
• Do not apply any moisturisers, fragrances or deoderants on the day of your spray tan, as these can form a barrier to the spray tan solution and will reduce the ability to apply an even colour all over.
• If you normally wax, make sure you do this at least 1 to 2 days before your tanning treatment.
• If you normally shave, make sure you do this prior to coming in.
• Wear loose, dark clothes to your appointment as you don’t want anything tight that will rub the solution off. For females – if you can go without a bra afterward for a couple of hours, all the better.
• Bring jandals or similar open-toed shoes to wear afterward.
After Your Spray Tan:
The better you care for your spray tan, the longer it will last. Here are some tips and advice on ensuring that you get the most out of your spray tan with us.
• Ideally wait 2-6 hours after the spray tan as been applied before you shower – the longer you leave it the the darker the tan will develop. Yes you can sleep with the solution on overnight, however the spray tan solution stops processing on the skin at 6 hours. The colour in the skin will continue to darken up to 24 hours later.
• The tanning solution on your skin can appear to get very dark while it is processing. Dont Panic, it is not the true colour that you will turn out! Once you have your first shower the true colour will be revealed on your skin, and will be lighter than before you washed it off.
• Try not to get caught in the rain following your appointment as raindrops will distort where the tan has been applied and you may end up with small white dots and stripes where the rain has landed.
• Likewise, avoid washing your hands or feet following your treatment until the 2 hour mark has been reached.
• Try not to get hot and sweaty immediately afterward (no gym sessions or running until after you have showered!).
• Until you shower, wear loose baggy clothes to ensure the tan can develop freely and not be rubbed off by tight waistbands or bra straps.
• It is very important to shower to remove the spray tan solution once it has processed. Once you have showered, you will notice the temporary bronzer washing away, leaving you looking tanned and glowing underneath. From this point on hydration is the key! Please note: the tan will continue to develop even after the shower, so do not be alarmed if you’re not as tanned as you expect to be.
• The colour on your skin will continue to develop over 24 hours.
• Keep skin well moisturised following your treatment as this will increase the longevity of the tan as well as ensuring that it fades evenly and doesn’t become patchy.
• Use a non-abrasive, non AHA skin wash so that the tan is not stripped away by the chemicals in your soap or shower gels.
• Utilise our after-care products to extend the life and quality of your tan.
• When your tan is fading after 7-10 days start exfoliating again to remove the remainder of the tan before it goes patchy. Your tan will naturally fade at different rates depending on the body part. Skin that is constantly under friction will wear off first ie feet in shoes, lower legs that are in boots, bra straps, tight waist belts etc.
Common Spray Tanning Questions
Q: Do I have to get naked?
A: As the spray tan needs to be applied by a therapist, you will need to get undressed to some degree. We provide the option of a disposable g-string, although you are welcome to wear your own underwear if that makes you feel more comfortable. Or nothing at all if you don’t want any bikini lines.
Q: Is spray tanning suitable for everybody?
A: No, the less healthy your skin, the less likely you will develop an even colour. Spray tan should not be applied to eczema, dermatitis, peeling skin or excessively dry, lined skin. Age spots on the chest can turn dark orange.
Q: How can I get a much darker colour?
A: We have a service called double dipping - which means your come back for a second application the next day
Q: Will the spray tan ruin my clothes or wedding dress?
A: Once the spray tan solution is dry (after 30 minutes) there is slight transfer to clothing and other surfaces. Spray tan washes completely out of most everyday fabrics. After showering there should be no colour transfer at all with the exception of too much friction caused by clothing (clothing tight against the underarm for example). or solution that hasnt been showered off completely. We recommend getting your spray tan 2 days before your special event to ensure any left over solution is completely gone and your tan is completely developed to its final colour
Q: I’m having the spray tan done for a wedding or other special occasion and am worried as I’ve never had one before. How can I be sure I will like it?
A: We recommend coming in for a practice tan at least 3 weeks before the big day. That way you have an opportunity to see see how comforatble you are with the procedure and know for sure how much you will love your new bronzed look. Also, we will be able to advise on the best timings to do your spray tan (especially if you’re fitting it around manicure and pedicure appointments as well as the many other commitments you may have on the days leading up to your event).